Guest post by Brigette Shevy
This thick, creamy, refreshing shake is the perfect recipe for the long, hot summer afternoons. It’s a healthy version of “Pina-Colada meets Orange Julius,” combining some of my all-time favorite flavors.
So many possibilities here… try using coconut milk for the milk, or adding in some Greek yogurt. I’ve even made this into a green smoothie by throwing in some spinach. If you’re not a coconut lover, leave out the optional shredded coconut and substitute vanilla extract for the coconut extract.
I seriously like this shake so much, though, that the only reason I always keep coconut extract on hand is so that I can make this recipe whenever I want.
It’s that good!
Feel free to add in some sweetener, but promise me you won’t do that until you’ve tasted it first!
Lazy Day Tropical Shake
makes 2 servings
- 1 ripe banana, cut into pieces and frozen for several hours
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, frozen for several hours (you can use fresh or canned)
- 3 Tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- ½ cup milk (any kind will work)
- ½ cup pineapple juice (using canned pineapple makes it easy especially if you’re using canned pineapple — but you can also substitute water if you’d like)
- 2 Tablespoons shredded coconut, optional
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 6 ice cubes
Blend all ingredients on high in a Vita-Mix or high-powered blender. Garnish with additional shredded coconut or orange slices, if desired.
Brigette is a full-time wife and mother who is blessed with three amazing bundles of energy (ages 5, 3 and 1). She enjoys music, experimenting in the kitchen, homeschooling her children, finding great deals, long-distance running, and anything chocolate.
Subscribe for free email updates from December212012® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!