These muffins are delicious and nutritious. When my friend, Angie, brought us some one day, I took one bite and knew they were winners.
I adapted the to make it healthier, but if you’re not worrying about sugar or calories, the original recipe is really good. 🙂
I’d recommend using muffin liners, if you buy them, as they seem to help these be a bit more moist. However, they are still delicious with less sugar and without muffin liners.
I used pureed carrots instead of shredded carrots this time around as that is what I already had in the freezer. I think it works a little better with shredded carrots — and the batter doesn’t look so orange, either!
Easy Morning Glory Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (can also use white flour or a mixture of whole-wheat and white flour)
- 3/4 to 1 cup raw sugar (or sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and shredded (or chopped)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted (or oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the carrots, raisins, coconut, and apples.
In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into the carrot/flour mixture, just until moistened. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
To freeze: Cool completely and put in an airtight ziptop freezer bag.
To thaw: Pull out the desired number of muffins and thaw at room temperature for an hour or so. You can also warm them in the microwave.
Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.
Other posts in the 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer series
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #1 Breakfast Freezer Foods Plan + Shopping List
- Freezer-Friendly Banana Bread
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Cinnamon Rolls (Day 2)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Waffles (Day 3)
- Freezer-Friendly Baked Oatmeal
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #2 Freezer-Friendly Lunch Recipes + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Baking Mix (Day 5)
- Freezer-Friendly Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Brown Bag Burritos (Day 7)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Pizza Pockets (Day 8)
- Freezer-Friendly Ham & Cheese Pockets
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #3 Freezer-Friendly Dinners + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Southwest Roll-ups (Day 10)
- Freezer-Friendly Barbecued Meatballs
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Lasagna Casserole (Day 12)
- Freezer-Friendly Homemade Pizza Dough
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #4 Freezer-Friendly Snacks & Desserts + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Italian Chicken (Day 15)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (Day 16)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Easy Morning Glory Muffins (Day 17)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Energy Bites (Day 18)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (Day 19)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Freezer-Friendly Chocolate Banana Bread (Day 20)
Subscribe for free email updates from December212012® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!