My great grandmother passed along a love of barbecue meatballs to our family — and it’s a recipe we’ve made over and over again. We love to serve these with twice baked potatoes, homemade rolls, and tossed salad.
And even if you’re not a fan of most freezer meals, I bet this one would work for your family since you freeze it uncooked. No one will likely know that you pulled this out of the freezer to serve for dinner. 🙂
Freezer-Friendly Barbecued Meatballs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups oats (quick-cooking or old fashioned — can also substitute bread crumbs)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 pounds raw ground beef (since you’ll be freezing this recipe uncooked, you’ll want to make sure the meat is fresh, not frozen)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Combine all meatball ingredients and mix well. Shape into one-inch balls and lay on a cookie sheet.
To freeze: Freeze uncooked meatballs on a cookie sheet for one hour. Remove from cookie sheet and transfer to airtight ziptop freezer bags.
To serve: Thaw meatballs overnight (or for 8 hours) in the refrigerator. Put in a greased baking dish and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes. Drain.
While meatballs are cooking, combine Barbecue Sauce ingredients together in a saucepan on the stove. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for two minutes, stirring frequently.
Pour Barbecue Sauce over meatballs and bake for 10-20 minutes longer, or until done.
Recipe adapted from .
Did you do any freezer cooking today? If so, I’d love to see the results of your efforts! Link up your blog posts below or tell us about your success in the comments.
Other posts in the 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer series
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #1 Breakfast Freezer Foods Plan + Shopping List
- Freezer-Friendly Banana Bread
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Cinnamon Rolls (Day 2)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Waffles (Day 3)
- Freezer-Friendly Baked Oatmeal
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #2 Freezer-Friendly Lunch Recipes + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Baking Mix (Day 5)
- Freezer-Friendly Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Brown Bag Burritos (Day 7)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Pizza Pockets (Day 8)
- Freezer-Friendly Ham & Cheese Pockets
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #3 Freezer-Friendly Dinners + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Southwest Roll-ups (Day 10)
- Freezer-Friendly Barbecued Meatballs
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Lasagna Casserole (Day 12)
- Freezer-Friendly Homemade Pizza Dough
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #4 Freezer-Friendly Snacks & Desserts + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Italian Chicken (Day 15)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (Day 16)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Easy Morning Glory Muffins (Day 17)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Energy Bites (Day 18)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (Day 19)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Freezer-Friendly Chocolate Banana Bread (Day 20)
Subscribe for free email updates from December212012® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!