Did you get something made for your freezer today? I did — but just barely.
Today was one of those days… where I felt behind, tired, cranky, and just plain unmotivated. And truthfully, if it wasn’t for the fact that I knew you all were also baking, I would likely have not gotten anything made. So thank you for doing this challenge with me to help keep me on track even when I’m really tempted to jump ship! 🙂
Silas helped me whip up the banana bread while I was making stirfry for dinner tonight. He’s so silly!
This is our tried and true banana bread recipe. Sometimes we decide to mix things up and add chocolate chips. Feel free to experiment with various mix-ins!
This recipe is perfect for freezing! After the bread cooled, I sliced one loaf, wrapped it in plastic wrap and then in foil. I left the second loaf whole because I’m thinking I may end up giving it away to a friend. So I made sure to seal it really well with plastic wrap and then covered tightly with foil and labeled it.
Freezer-Friendly Banana Bread
Makes 2 loaves
- 4 cups flour (all-purpose, whole-wheat, or a mixture of both)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil.)
- 2 cups sugar (I used turbinado.)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 6-8 bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 Tablespoons milk
Stir together dry ingredients. Beat together remaining ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and blend until just combined. Pour into greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the bread comes out clean.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely.
To freeze: Slice loaf, if desired, and covered in plastic wrap, then in foil (or in a ziptop bag).
To serve: thaw on the countertop for a few hours or defrost an individual piece in the microwave for 20-45 seconds. We love to serve ours warm with butter.
Did you do any freezer cooking today? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Other posts in the 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer series
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #1 Breakfast Freezer Foods Plan + Shopping List
- Freezer-Friendly Banana Bread
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Cinnamon Rolls (Day 2)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Waffles (Day 3)
- Freezer-Friendly Baked Oatmeal
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #2 Freezer-Friendly Lunch Recipes + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Baking Mix (Day 5)
- Freezer-Friendly Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Brown Bag Burritos (Day 7)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Pizza Pockets (Day 8)
- Freezer-Friendly Ham & Cheese Pockets
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #3 Freezer-Friendly Dinners + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Southwest Roll-ups (Day 10)
- Freezer-Friendly Barbecued Meatballs
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Lasagna Casserole (Day 12)
- Freezer-Friendly Homemade Pizza Dough
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Week #4 Freezer-Friendly Snacks & Desserts + Shopping List
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Italian Chicken (Day 15)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (Day 16)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Easy Morning Glory Muffins (Day 17)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Homemade Energy Bites (Day 18)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins (Day 19)
- 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer: Freezer-Friendly Chocolate Banana Bread (Day 20)
Subscribe for free email updates from December212012® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!