Whenever I say something about Green Rice Casserole, most people do a double take. “Green Rice Casserole? What’s that??” they’ll ask incredulously.
My mom has made this recipe for as long as I can remember and I’ve always loved it. Since I’ve been married, it’s been fun to introduce it to my own family, too. Everyone gobbles it up and usually asks for more!
It’s the perfect side dish for burritos. Or, you can do as I do, and just eat it as a stand alone.
Because it’s just that good!
By the way, this is in no way a low-fat recipe, so if you’re on a diet or counting calories or trying to lose weight, you just might want to skip over this post. 😉
Green Rice Casserole
- 3 cups cooked rice (we use brown rice)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup chopped dried parsley (or 1/2 to 1 cup fresh parsley)
- 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (or 1/4 cup dry onion flakes — can be omitted)
Combine all ingredients and pour into a 9″x13″ baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer. Serves 8-10. Freezable.
Subscribe for free email updates from December212012® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!